Find topics HERE.
- Shared Reading Needs to Have a Clear Purpose
- “Designing ELA PARCC Prep Materials That Fit in Your Curriculum”– SIGN UP NOW!
- RECOMMENDED READING: The Writing Revolution by Judith Hochman and Natalie Wexler
- RECOMMENDED READING: Engaging Students in U.S. History and Science
- Online Curriculum Resources: UPDATE
Top Posts & Pages
- PARCC Prep: Research Simulation Task Writing Lesson Cycle
- PARCC Writing Rubrics UPDATE, 10-13-16
- PARCC Prep: How to Approach the Narrative Writing Task
- PARCC Prep: Narrative Writing Task Lesson Cycle
- User-Friendly PARCC Writing Rubrics!
- PARCC Prep: Literary Analysis Writing Task
- PARCC Prep: Literary Analysis Writing Lesson Cycle
- PARCC Preparation: Tackling the Research Writing Task
- HOW TO PREPARE STUDENTS FOR PARCC WRITING TASKS
- Teaching Writers How to Select and Explain Evidence
Category Archives: Organizing an Essay
I’ve been working with colleagues in the field on an UPDATED lesson cycle for history/social studies/science teachers who are trying to prepare their students for the PARCC Research Simulation Task. (PS: I have previously blogged about teaching the RST here … Continue reading
As a former high school English teacher who loves literature and loves to write, I do not believe in doing test prep 24/7. I believe tests are a genre, the same way that drama is a genre and poetry is … Continue reading
In the spirit of holiday giving, I have created “PARCC Prep Writing Task Care Packages” for all three PARCC writing tasks. Everything attached here is FREE. Yes, free. You’re welcome. PARCC Narrative Writing Task PARCC Narrative Writing Prompts 12-22-15 (NEW!) … Continue reading
[The following post originally appeared in slightly different form on MiddleWeb on January 7, 2015:] In the PARCC literary analysis task, students must closely analyze two literary texts—often focusing on their themes or points of view—and compare and contrast these … Continue reading
[The following post originally appeared in slightly different form on MiddleWeb, on Dec. 16, 2014:] As we all strive to help our students meet and exceed the Common Core Standards, one reality we also have to prepare them for is … Continue reading
[This post is adapted from my book, The Literacy Cookbook (Jossey-Bass, 2012). My forthcoming book, Literacy and the Common Core: Recipes for Action (Jossey-Bass), is scheduled for release in August, 2014. This post appeared in slightly different form as a … Continue reading