Find topics HERE.
Top Posts & Pages
- PARCC Prep: How to Approach the Narrative Writing Task
- PARCC Update: NEW WRITING RUBRICS
- User-Friendly PARCC Writing Rubrics!
- PARCC Prep: Literary Analysis Writing Task
- Literary Analysis Task: How to Infer Themes from a Text (CCS #2)
- Essential Literacy Work Before You Begin Test Prep
- HOW TO PREPARE STUDENTS FOR PARCC WRITING TASKS
- Professional Development Ideas to Support Literacy Instruction
- Essential Vocabulary Resource: ACHIEVE THE CORE’s ACADEMIC WORD FINDER
- ARGUMENT VS. EVIDENCE: Step 1 Revisited
Tag Archives: Context
[This post originally appeared in slightly different form on MiddleWeb on October 3, 2016.] When writing nonfiction paragraphs or essays, students must frame their quotes (evidence) with appropriate context and explanation. In English teacher speak, we call this “building quote … Continue reading
As much as we would like to know what the PARCC Assessments are really going to look like, this year all we have to go on is what our State Department of Education tells us. And in my home state … Continue reading
Although not known as the artist in my family (one brother is an architect, and my sister designs stained glass and beads, among other things), I have managed to learn one artistic concept that helps me when teaching: “negative space.” … Continue reading