Find topics HERE.
- Shared Reading Needs to Have a Clear Purpose
- “Designing ELA PARCC Prep Materials That Fit in Your Curriculum”– SIGN UP NOW!
- RECOMMENDED READING: The Writing Revolution by Judith Hochman and Natalie Wexler
- RECOMMENDED READING: Engaging Students in U.S. History and Science
- Online Curriculum Resources: UPDATE
Top Posts & Pages
- PARCC Prep: Research Simulation Task Writing Lesson Cycle
- PARCC Writing Rubrics UPDATE, 10-13-16
- PARCC Prep: How to Approach the Narrative Writing Task
- PARCC Prep: Narrative Writing Task Lesson Cycle
- User-Friendly PARCC Writing Rubrics!
- PARCC Prep: Literary Analysis Writing Task
- PARCC Prep: Literary Analysis Writing Lesson Cycle
- PARCC Preparation: Tackling the Research Writing Task
- HOW TO PREPARE STUDENTS FOR PARCC WRITING TASKS
- Teaching Writers How to Select and Explain Evidence
Tag Archives: Professional Development
I’ll be presenting at NJPSA/FEA in Monroe Twp., NJ, all day on January 25! Here’s the blurb: Designing ELA PARCC Prep Materials That Fit in Your Curriculum Date: Jan 25, 2018 Time: 9am – 3pm Location: FEA Conference Center Presenter: … Continue reading
As many readers know, in addition to this blog and my two books (The Literacy Cookbook and Literacy and the Common Core), you can find more support for effective literacy instruction on The Literacy Cookbook Website, which features hundreds and … Continue reading
If you are looking for professional development support on Essential Literacy Work, I encourage you to attend my full-day training session at NJPSA/FEA on Oct. 2 from 9am-3pm! Here’s the link for more information: http://njpsa.org/documents/pdf/PDCalFall2017-web.pdf Here’s the blurb: PARCC ELA … Continue reading
As we enter summer—or as I like to call it, Curriculum Development Season—teachers will want to check out these two great resources: First, Match Fishtank, which I previously blogged about here. Second, hot off the presses: Success Academy Ed Institute, … Continue reading
If you’re writing curriculum plans, here’s a tremendous new FREE resource: Match Fishtank. Here’s the blurb that explains what this is: Welcome to Match Fishtank, where you can view, share, and download the curriculum we use every day at Match Charter School, the … Continue reading
[This post originally appeared in slightly different form on MiddleWeb on Dec. 18, 2016.] Recently I’ve been thinking about the ways in which we either inculcate or prevent learned helplessness in students. Some teaching practices help strengthen students’ self-efficacy, motivation … Continue reading
If you’re like me and you receive way too much Email, sometimes you miss important stuff. Or you notice something you want to read “later,” and four months pass before you actually read it. Today I finally opened a November … Continue reading
Today’s entry is brought to you by my other blog, ONLY GOOD BOOKS. Check THIS out.
In case you’re curious, here are some public events where you can find me: Oct. 7: Reading, Writing, and the Common Core: Recipes for Action (NJPSA/FEA in Monroe Twp., NJ, 9am-3pm, $149) “Join this noted author of Literacy and the … Continue reading
This has been a particularly challenging year in our field. As teachers and school leaders continue to wrestle with how best to prepare students to meet and exceed the Common Core Standards, I would like to humbly submit some professional … Continue reading