Find topics HERE.
Top Posts & Pages
- Teaching Writers How to Select and Explain Evidence
- PARCC Prep: How to Approach the Narrative Writing Task
- PARCC Prep: Narrative Writing Task Lesson Cycle
- PARCC Writing Rubrics UPDATE, 10-13-16
- PARCC Prep: Literary Analysis Writing Task
- APPROACHES TO THE COMMON CORE: Quadrant Analysis as a Way to Boost Comprehension
- PARCC Prep: Literary Analysis Writing DEMO LESSON
- Teaching Students How to Set a Purpose for Reading
- Literary Analysis Task: How to Infer Themes from a Text (CCS #2)
- User-Friendly PARCC Writing Rubrics!
Tag Archives: Roots
Recently I received an Email message from a reader who wanted to know what to include in an “ideal” first unit. In my new book, Literacy and the Common Core, I offer a sample 5th-grade unit that can be adapted … Continue reading
We’ve established that in order to paraphrase, you need to unpack vocabulary. And in order to unpack vocabulary, you need word-attack skills and knowledge of roots (e.g., Latin and Greek roots, prefixes, and suffixes). While some schools use “The Word … Continue reading