Find topics HERE.
Top Posts & Pages
- PARCC Prep: How to Approach the Narrative Writing Task
- PARCC Preparation: Tackling the Research Writing Task
- Professional Development Ideas to Support Literacy Instruction
- User-Friendly PARCC Writing Rubrics!
- PARCC Prep: Literary Analysis Writing Task
- PARCC Writing Rubrics UPDATE, 10-13-16
- APPROACHES TO THE COMMON CORE: How to Teach Reading Literature Standard #3
- Teaching Writers How to Select and Explain Evidence
- Literary Analysis Task: How to Infer Themes from a Text (CCS #2)
- Approaches to the Common Core: WHY ANNOTATION MATTERS*
Tag Archives: Paragraph writing
[This post originally appeared in slightly different form on MiddleWeb on November 15, 2016.] The more time I spend in classrooms trying to help students write effectively, the more I recognize how detailed and nuanced this process is, especially when … Continue reading
[This post originally appeared in slightly different form on MiddleWeb on October 3, 2016.] When writing nonfiction paragraphs or essays, students must frame their quotes (evidence) with appropriate context and explanation. In English teacher speak, we call this “building quote … Continue reading
[This post originally appeared in slightly different form on MiddleWeb on April 12, 2016.] Lately I have become obsessed with the beauty and utility of paragraph responses. When students are struggling to write clear, coherent essays or aren’t explaining their … Continue reading